[Mailman-Developers] cron/gate_news watermark == 0

Harald Meland Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no
14 Feb 2000 15:02:26 +0100

[Jim Tittsler]

> On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 08:57:20PM +0100, Harald Meland wrote:
> > Or, even better, move the per-list watermark info from gate_watermarks
> > into the list's config.db, replacing any 0 values in gate_watermarks
> > with None values in config.db.  This has the advantage of reducing the
> > number of different files that would have to be changed when
> > cloning/renaming a list.
>
> This seems logical to me, since I think the administrator really wants to do
> the "catch up" any time gateway_to_mail transitions from No to Yes (implying
> that it needs to be able to update the watermark, either in config.db or by
> locking(?) and updating gate_watermarks).

I agree completely.

> With the present behavior, watermarks don't appear to be deleted if you stop
> gatewaying a newsgroup for a while.

Correct.  And yes, that could be considered a bad thing...

> (You could del the watermark entries any time gate_news was run and
> the list wasn't marked as gatewaying... that seems unclean, but a
> smaller patch. :-)

"Small is beautiful" isn't _always_ the best of strategies :)

Do you feel up to making a new, slightly more complex patch
implementing this change, or should I (or someone else) start looking
into it?
--
Harald