[Mailman-Developers] I want to write docs!

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us (Barry A. Warsaw)
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 17:00:08 -0500 (EST)

    GH> I've downloaded Mailman about a week ago, and I'm very
    GH> excited.

Cool!

    GH> And now, I want to write documentation.

There have been a few other people who have done some documenting.
Unfortunately I haven't kept up with that status, so perhaps others
can chime in.

Because Mailman is GNU, texinfo is the standard documentation format.
I'll point you at doc-sig@python.org (a Mailman list, 'natch) which is
making all the decisions about Python documentation.  It's not a list
that I'm on.  If whatever doc-sig chooses can be used to generate
texinfo, then it would be fine to use that, but we need to distribute
texinfo with Mailman.  There's plenty of documentation about texinfo
on www.gnu.org and it's pretty easy to write.

You will, of course, need to copyright assign any documentation to the
FSF, and I can send you the appropriate forms when you're ready.

    GH> Another thing: if I add docstrings to the code, what should I
    GH> do with the changed code, with the patches? I can't find out
    GH> where to send patches to be incorperated in mailman. Neither
    GH> mailman-cabal, nor this list seems to be the right place :(.

Currently, mailman-developers is the right place to send your patches.
If others think that'll clutter up this list too much, we can 1)
create a mailman-patches mailing list; or 2) hasten the move to
SourceForge and piggyback off of their tools (which I admittedly
haven't investigated too deeply yet).  I'm leary of creating
yet-another-mailing list, so I'd be inclined to prefer using
mailman-developers.  Note that, you'll need different FSF copyright
assignment forms for docstring patches.  Again, I can send those to
you when needed.

-Barry