[Mailman-Developers] race condition in locking ?

Ricardo Kustner ricardo@rixhq.nu
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 21:31:44 +0100

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 08:43:31PM +0100, Ricardo Kustner wrote:
> yes i did see "stolen!" in the logs just before the process was about to crash.
> > In any case, you can easily try it out; in Mailman/MailList.py, on or around
> > line 282, there should be a 'lifetime = 60', inside the constructor for the
> > maillists' lockfile. Changing the '60' in, say, '600', should give you
> thanks a lot :) I'm trying out the value '300'... just to be sure...

well I just tried it out... I approved 17 posts and didn't get an assertion error!
though it took quite a while before the webpage was finnished loading (about 2
minutes) but the process load on the machine didn't get any higher than 2.5

I wonder though what happens if some impatient moderator decides not to
wait before the page finnishes loading, switches to a differen webpage  and therefor
breaks the python cgi process... will some approved posts stay in the queue instead?

I mentioned before that I think that it could be better if the cgi scripts
don't do anything more than just "mark" message as being approved... cgi scripts
should have a short life time and definately shouldn't be waiting for something too long...

btw i used the original LockFile.py this time...

Ricardo.