[Mailman-Developers] Re: I want to learn python and help

Ralph Corderoy ralph@inputplus.demon.co.uk
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:38:37 +0000

Hi,

> I just finished the 'learning python' book a few monthes ago. I am
> the kind to learn by doing.  I would like to help out any way I can.
> My day job is qa testing.  Is there a simple coding project I could
> learn on for you guys ?  Is there a particuler way you need this to
> be tested so I can learn how the code works?  I just want to get my
> hands dirty and become a good python coder.

That's a co-incidence.  I've been interested in Python for a few months
and read the User and Reference guide back then.  I've done nothing on
it since apart from browsing comp.lang.python.  Over Christmas, whilst
staying at the in-laws, I was planning to read through the source of
Mailman on the laptop.

What I'm after is learning Python idioms and typical ways of
structuring code with Python's packages.  I know C and Unix inside out,
plus many others languages like Ada, PostScript, Perl, and Fortran.
Does the list think that Mailman is a good example of idiomatic Python
code?  I've assumed so given Barry's closeness to Guido.

Thanks for any guidance,

Ralph.