[Mailman-Developers] Users, Bounces, and Virtual Domains (was (no subject))

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 19:21:51 -0800

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000 15:28:42 -0500
Ken Kyler <ken@kyler.com> wrote:

>> Okay, let's split this out.  There are five levels and a
>> pseudonymous sixth:
>>   1) Site owner     -- SysAdm for the host
>>   2) Group owner    -- Sets group defaults
>>   3) List owner     -- Sets list defaults
>>   4) List moderator -- Controls day-to-day operation of list
>>   5) Member account -- Individual humans
>>   6) Email address

> Using the virtual host paradigm, it becomes...
> 1) SysAdmin       -- God
> 2) Domain owner   -- Virtual host administrator
> 3) Group owner    -- Sets group defaults
> 4) List owner     -- Sets list defaults
> 5) List moderator -- Controls day-to-day operation of list
> 6) Member account -- Individual humans
> 7) Email address

I don't see that there's enough gain added by splitting VHosts out
from groups to make the extra complextiy worth it.  A group can be a
vhost, or it can be a more logical grouping.  Given that the likely
tenuous life of vhosts (they've already started rolling out IPv6 on
a production basis in a few places) I really don't have much
temptation to bend that far when groups can accomplish the same end
(if need-be just create multiple groups representing factions of a
vhost).

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu