[Mailman-Developers] Users, Bounces, and Virtual Domains (was (no subject))

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 00:14:16 -0800

At 6:50 PM -0800 12/14/00, J C Lawrence wrote:

>We can generalise this problem into insolvability.

great1 let's define 3.0 done, then, and go have a beer (ducking)

>   Mailman is not trying solve all problems!

yes, it is. We will merely defer some of them to future releases (or
generations)

>   Mailman is trying to provide a toolkit such that users can solve
>   problems in ways they prefer!

but we need to understand all this enough to be able to write them,
even fi we don't write them ourselves, lest those toolkits not do
what's needed of them.

>I actually acount at the point that I think Mailman shouldn't have a
>default membership implementation, but again, just one or more
>reference implementations.

We go back to where I stepped in here (stepped into it?) a few days
back. We define a subscriber management interface, splitting Mailman
into two pieces: subscriber management and MLM actions. Then the
subscriber piece is implemented twice to prove the API -- one by
porting the existing Mailman interface to it, and one by (I'd hope)
my proposed site-wide authentication scheme to it. Assuming it works
for those two cases, it likely works for almose every case, and if
someone wants to hook it up to an oracle database via LDAP for
corporate mailing lists -- they write another module to the API.

We're visiting the relatives. Cover us.