[Mailman-Developers] 2 bugs, but I need a confirmation :-)

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:58:21 -0800

At 11:11 AM +0100 12/12/00, Thomas Wouters wrote:

>2) '\n.\n' screws up Mailman. This comes in two flavours :) If the '\n.\n'
>sequence is late enough in the email, Mailman doesn't notice, and the rest
>of the mail (including the '\n.\n') silently vanishes.

that's because that's a standard end of message delimiter in the SMTP
protocols. It may not even be Mailman, but the MTA.

>This is a problem in particular with digests.

yes, it's related to one I found, where ^@ (NUL) does the same,
because it also is read as an End of File flag, so the digest
truncates. But the one you have is actually part of the SMTP
standards, so at some level, the answer is "don't do that", I think,
or disable it in your MTA configuration. I know it can be turned off
in sendmail, but don't remember the command offhand.

We're visiting the relatives. Cover us.