[Mailman-Developers] about qrunner and locking

Marc MERLIN marc_news@valinux.com
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 08:25:38 -0800

> >     MM> But then comes the question: why does qrunner have to modify
> >     MM> the list's config.db when it ships a message?  I suppose the
> >     MM> relevant piece of code in qrunner is:
> >
> >     |    try:
> >     |        keepqueued = dispose_message(mlist, msg, msgdata)
> >     |        # Did the delivery generate child processes?  Don't store them in
> >     |        # the message data files.
> >     |        kids = msgdata.get('_kids')
> >     |        if kids:
> >     |            allkids.update(kids)
> >     |            del msgdata['_kids']
> >     |        if not keepqueued:
> >     |            # We're done with this message
> >     |            dequeue(root)
> >
> >     MM> but I have to admit to not understanding what it does.
> >
> > This isn't directly related to your problem, but some pipeline modules
> > can create subprocesses, although the only one that does this
> > currently is ToUsenet.py.  This code makes sure that all those
> > children are waited on so they don't zombie.  What /really/ ought to
> > happen is that there is a separate queue for usenet postings since
> > once the message is prepared for usenet, it doesn't need to touch the
> > list database again.
>
> I read the other messages with interest (thanks to all those who
> contributed), so let me ask: what happens if I remove the piece of code
> above, and just not lock the config.db at all in qrunner?
> (in my case, I will not be doing usenet gatewaying, so the children problem
> doesn't seem to apply to me)

I'm not asking for a money back garantee here, don't be afraid to speak up
:-)

In other words, is there a good chance that it will work, or on the contrary
do you think that I'll probably break things horribly by doing this?
(I am  assuming that I  can remove locking  of config.db after  removing the
piece of code shown above, or better yet, leave the code alone, just comment
out the locking, and make sure I don't do usenet gatewaying)

Thanks
Marc