[Mailman-Developers] about qrunner and locking

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Fri, 08 Dec 2000 09:26:13 -0800

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000 09:36:11 +0100
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net> wrote:

> Over NFS, almost nothing is atomic. And even if you do grab an
> atomic operation, you can get ....

The only operation which I've found guaranteed atomic across all NFS
implementations is creat().

> I'm afraid that there isn't a good solution to your problem, right
> now. In all honesty, and I say this with all my professional years
> of experience in this area, NFS sucks large granite elephant
> testicles through a very thin straw. (To butcher a Pratchett
> quote, "NFS is like a vampire; it bites, it sucks, and it leaves
> you lifeless")

Yuo're beginning to sound a bit like me, only you're more polite.

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu
---------(*)                        : http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/