[Mailman-Developers] Bad logic in subscribe.py?

Austin Bingham abingham@lips.utexas.edu
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:08:45 -0500

I've been poking around the mailman code to track down some apparent bugs
I've noticed, and I think I've found a problem with subscribe.py. I
mentioned the problem I was seeing earlier on mailman-users, but I'll
summarize: the html produced by subscribe.py was adding an extra
result, by <body> was being ignored by the browser which caused all sorts of
rendering problems.

The problem, it appears, is that subscribe.py uses Document instead of
HeadlessDocument for managing it's HTML output. As a result, these "extra"
tags get wrapped around my subscribe HTML and stomp on my formatting, etc.

The solution that seems reasonable to me is to use doc = HeadlessDocument()
in main() of subscribe.py. However, I haven't analyzed the problem as deeply
as is probably necessary. Does this sounds right to anyone more
knowledgeable about the code as a whole? In any event, there ought to be
some way to ask mailman to not put these extra tags around my HTML. Thanks
for any input on this!

Austin Bingham
Laboratory for Intelligent Processes and Systems
University of Texas at Austin
abingham@lips.utexas.edu