[Mailman-Developers] List archives text format not mbox compatible?

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:39:52 -0400 (EDT)

    BMK> It appears that the text versions of the list archives that
    BMK> are generated by pipermail are not in mbox format Namely, the
    BMK> "From " line is built in a way that isn't compatible with
    BMK> mbox-based MUAs.

    BMK> I had never noticed this before, but it seems like there is
    BMK> no reason not to make them compatible with mbox.  I think the
    BMK> most useful thing about offering text archives is that you
    BMK> can grab them and read them into an mbox MUA.

    BMK> Was the change in the "From " line format intentional, or is
    BMK> it a bug?  if the former, can someone please explain the
    BMK> thinking behind it?

It depends on exactly which files you're talking about.  If you mean
something like 2000-August.txt that's available from

    http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/

under the "Downloadable version" link, then I think it /is/ mbox
compatible.  Or put it this way, both VM under XEmacs and Linux's
mail(1) program grok those files just fine.

What specifically about the From_ line is bogus for you?

-Barry