[Mailman-Developers] feature reminder: no unsubscribe

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 10:02:04 +0200

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 10:37:14PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> Would someone volunteer to put together a list of unofficial patches
> and hacks?  I don't currently have the time, unfortunately.  We could
> probably host them at SourceForge (if I can figure out how to change
> http://mailman.sourceforge.net :)

> If yo're interested and have the time, email me.

Unless the number of unofficial patches suddenly booms, i'd have the time,
and i'm certainly interested ;) I also have currently 2, later today 3
'unofficial' patches lying around, plus some minor fixes that haven't made
it into 2.0 yet, so there's definately an element of self-interest here ;)

(The patches are:

- unsubscriptions (optionally) requiring approval like subscriptions

- using a local file for poster_list (the list of email addresses that can post)
instead of having to enter them by hand / using the 'file upload' option. I
need this currently because we have several lists that are restricted to
exactly the same subset of addresses, and i dont want to maintain a remote
file and upload it to all lists every time it changes, mostly because
there's 10 people 'in charge' of the list, and our subscribees can create
their own email aliasses and *frequently* change their posting alias :P

(I'm actually waiting for the userdb stuff to go in, to add 'aliases' to the
options page, so people can go and maintain it themselves. Probably with a
change to the admin pages too, so that you can approve a held posting and
immediately add the email address to a known subscriber ;)

- And later today, after I test it some more on an actual mailman
installation, a new LockFile.py, that's more civil and more efficient with
locking.

The minor fixes are mailman eating the 'From ' line of messages that went
through approval (which means they dont show up as seperate messages, in the
archive), and the 'From ' lines in the 'downloadable archives' having the
wrong format, rendering the archives all but useless. (i have a python
script somewhere that fixes old archives too ;)

PS: Barry, i couldn't find a good excuse to post something to the
python-list, to see if the timeout problem pops up again, but i'm hoping
this list exhibits the same behaviour ;-P

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>