[Mailman-Developers] observations from new user

Harald Meland Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no
12 Apr 2000 16:16:48 +0200

[Brian Grossman]

> Does anyone actually run with DEFAULT_PRIVATE_ROSTER set to 0?

Yes.

> My suspicion is that just about everyone either sets it in their
> mm_cfg.py or sets it manually to 2 for each list.

I don't.

> Shouldn't the default to be to protect privacy?

Not necessarily -- the default should, ideally, be what is most useful
to most of the people using Mailman to create new lists.  As the world
hardly is ideal, the issue of how to decide whether a change of
default is really called for or not enters the picture.

I see your point, though -- if I were inventing the option now, I
probably wouldn't have made it default to 0.

However, as I haven't heard anyone else argue for a change, I'm
inclined to interpret that silence as "We think the current default is
OK".  I guess people now will let me know if that interpretation is
wrong :)

> > > Where should I send a script that eliminates the need for five
> > > .qmail files per list?
> >
> > As Ricardo said: Here would be a good place.
>
> It's attached.

Thanks,
--
Harald