[Mailman-Developers] 2 quickies..

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:16:29 +0200

On Sun, Apr 09, 2000 at 05:15:05PM -0400, Matt Davis wrote:

> 1.  Just making sure with staying up with the CVS tree, will I overwrite
> any info (list config/membership/etc.) if I update my
> /home/mailman/mailman (CVS source dir) and then do 'make install' (which
> now does 'make update').

Should be no problem, i've been doing it for months. You may have to re-edit
your option-pages though, if you make any changes to the HTML.

> 2.  I think I found a little bug.  When a message is kicked to the admin
> for the message having too many users.  After the admin approves the
> message to be sent, it does not show up in the archive page.

D'oh yeah, that was another outstanding bug i had, which i forgot to mention
in my previous mail. Messages that are held for approval lose their 'from '
line, which means the archive for that list gest fuqued.  (If the approved
message is the first message in the list, the archive is invalid, and if
it's a later message, it wont be seen as a seperate message but instead part
of the preceding message.)

I sent a patch a week or two ago: the problem is that the held message gets
written to a file using str(msg) -- but rfc822.Message.__str__ does not
prepend the 'unixfrom' line to the message, so that has to be done manually.
Actually, the code could probably use a check to see if the first 5
characters of the resulting string are indeed 'From ', or perhaps even match
the entire fromline, to make sure pipermail/HyperArch does not skip the
message like it does now, but that's a minor concern for later.

The fix is easy, by the way: in Mailman/ListAdmin.py, in function
'HoldMessage(self, msg, reason)', change 'fp.write(str(msg))' to
'fp.write(msg.unixfrom + str(msg))'. msg.unixfrom is either a From line, or
an empty string, and str(msg) never starts with anything From-like, so the
fix should be perfectly safe. (And a must, I might add, for people with busy
moderated lists ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>