[Mailman-Developers] Hostnames..

Erik Parker eparker@mindsec.com
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 14:27:13 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> [Note that I've sent this to the mailman-users list, which is really
> more appropriate than the developers list.  However, I don't actually
> read the -users group because of a lack of time.]
>
> On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 02:01:10PM -0600, Erik Parker wrote:
> >Where to the scripts ask to get their hostname from each time?
> >
> >mm_cfg.py  ?
> >
> >I have DEFAULT_HOST_NAME = 'discuss.pentax.com'
> >
> >and in Defaults.py
> >
> >DEFAULT_HOST_NAME = 'discuss.pentax.com'
>
> mm_cfg.py is for the *LOCAL* settings, and things in there are overridden by
> values in mm_cfg.py.  However, when sending a message the preferred host
> name is taken from the value set in the main config panel "Host name this
> list prefers".
>
> Have you been looking at your MTA with the same ferver that you've been
> looking at Mailman?  My bet is that it's some sort of interaction with
> the MTA, but you haven't mentioned what you're using.

I am using sendmail 8.9.3, I have gone as far to:

Change the sendmail.cf to force it to use the host discuss.pentax.com,
changing the reverse DNS for the machine to it matched the A record
for discuss.pentax.com
changed the hostname on the machine

and (not to sound like a broken record, but people keep emailing me
with their wisdom, and never noticed I've already stated this)
I HAVE IT SET VIA THE WEB PAGE FOR "Host name this list prefers."
set to the RIGHT host.

> Sean
> --
>  I put my hand upon her lever, said "let it rock and let it roll."
>  I had the one-arm-bandit fever, it was an arrow through my heart, that's all.
> Sean Reifschneider, Inimitably Superfluous <jafo@tummy.com>

Erik Parker
eparker@mindsec.com