[Mailman-Developers] External Archiving Patch

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us (Barry A. Warsaw)
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 16:41:41 -0400 (EDT)

    PH> This patch should let the administrator specify alternative
    PH> external archivers.  All you have to do is set the
    PH> PUBLIC_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER and/or PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER
    PH> variables to the command line you wish to use.  If you put
    PH> "$LISTNAME" or "${LISTNAME}" in the command line, it is
    PH> replaced with the name of the list.  Mailman will run the
    PH> command line and pipe each post to it.

    PH> The main advantage to this is that all post filtering is done
    PH> without having to subscribe a procmailrc to the list.  This
    PH> prevents list-admins from accidentally unsubscribing the
    PH> archiver.

    PH> If the variables given above are set to "" (the default),
    PH> Mailman will fall back to the built-in Pipermail archiver, so
    PH> this should not break any existing installations.

Paul, I'd like to install this patch but have a couple of
suggestions.  First (and I apologize for not looking at it closer),
I'd like to use any false value -- None or 0 would be preferrable --
to indicate use-the-internal-archiver.  Maybe your patch already
supports that.

Second...

    PH> My apologies for using regsub, but I have not been able to
    PH> find enough documentation on the re module.  Perhaps someone
    PH> better acquainted with it could migrate this patch to it?

I'm sorry I don't have the time to port to re module.  Do you think
you'd be able to do it?  I'd rather not include new dependencies on
regsub, which is deprecated and may someday go away.

Here's documentation on re:

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-re.html

If you do port to re, please resubmit the patch against the CVS
snapshot and I'd be very happy to install it.

Thanks,
-Barry