[Mailman-Developers] Plea for Help

J C Lawrence claw@varesearch.com
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:11:29 -0700

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:24:13 -0400 (EDT)
Barry A Warsaw <bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us> wrote:

> Another possibility is using BitKeeper as our revision control
> system.

I've been using BitKeeper heavily for about 6 months now.  Gorgeous
stuff.

> 2) We have no experience with BitKeeper so our infrastructure
> isn't set up for it.  Does it integrate with Emacs?

Yes.

> Can we easily suck in our CVS history, and perhaps as important,

Yes, with caveats.  Larry isn't willing to release the port tool yet
as it is, umm, fragile and may lose data from your repository.
Happily Larry is often willing to assist with such transfers.

> can we export back into CVS if we find it's necessary some time
> down the road?

BK is a superset of CVS.  As such some data (not code) will be lost
in such a transition.  There's nothing you can do about this.

> 3) Those who want to contribute will have to learn YASCCS.

If you know RCS or SCCS learning BK is a doddle.  Just do exactly
the same things you used to do and put "bk" in the front of every
string.

  $ bk get file.c
  $ bk co -l file.c

After that its just a matter of adding the commit and resync
commands and you're pretty well away to running.

--
J C Lawrence                                   Home: claw@kanga.nu
---------(*)                             Work: claw@varesearch.com