[Mailman-Developers] Plea for Help

Sean Reifschneider jafo@tummy.com
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 03:09:26 -0600

On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 06:35:24PM +0200, Victoriano Giralt wrote:
>For me, absolute NO-NO

Personally, I'm more concerned with the ongoing viability of Mailman.
It's a sweet system, however it does need regular maintinance.  Added
features would be good too:

	lftp ftp.list.org:/pub/mailman> ls mailman-1.0rc3.tgz
	-rw-r--r--   1 604      601       906745 Jul 12 09:20 mailman-1.0rc3.tgz
	lftp ftp.list.org:/pub/mailman>

If you make it hard for folks to contribute, they won't.  Their contributions
getting lost in a black hole qualify as "hard".

>> 3) Those who want to contribute will have to learn YASCCS.
>
>My answer to point 3 is absolutely not. I'm trying to standardize CVS for
>all our inhouse development, at the very least for my own team and the

With all due respect, do you have a better solution to the current
problems?  If the choice is between using a non-GNU tool and watching
MailMan wither, I'll select the former.  Perhaps I'm just tainted by
trying to meet the mortgage while working on Open Source Software,
but I don't have a problem with non-free software...

>I'm not a CVS guru (yet :) ;), but I think it would be to difficult to set
>up a mechanism as the one proposed by Sean, moreover once it has been
>already done for another project, as can be infered from his message.

Hmm.  I'm afraid I'm not able to parse the above.  Are you saying that
it would be difficult to set up a second CVS repository?

Sean
--
 "All I'm saying is that when I'm around you I find myself showing off,
 which is the idiots version of being interesting."  -- _LA_Story_