[Mailman-Developers] no passord on subscription page ... and others

Fil fil@bok.net
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:32:01 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 claw@kanga.nu wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:17:12 +0100 (MET)
> Fil  <fil@bok.net> wrote:
>
> > it seems to me that to request a password from the subscribing
> > page is confusing, overkill, and useless... when you can generate
> > the password on the fly for the user.
>
> Many users like to control their passwords and so wish to select
> them themselves (usually so that they can use the same password in
> many places, but that's another matter).  Using this patch forces
> such users to subscribe, confirm their subscription and _then_ go
> log in with their assigned password to change it to their
> preference.
>
> I don't see the point in being that righteous about what other
> people use for their passwords.

No. I don'(t care what people use for their password; I just mean that the
password in this case is not that important, and to put it up front like
it is now can lead to :
a) people giving their POP password
b) people being deterred from subscribing by the apparent complexity and
the burden of having to remember a new password