[Mailman-Developers] Features requested...

Sean Reifschneider jafo@tummy.com
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:53:34 -0700

On Mon, Nov 15, 1999 at 05:28:55PM -0600, Rick Niess wrote:
>4) On the membership management admin page, please setup a mechanism for
>large lists to limit the display of user options to X number of users per
>page.  It's a killer to try to admin large lists from slow machines with

Hmm, it already does that.  When you select membership, it displays them
in chunks of 10 or something.  I've upped mine to 30, and would actually
prefer 100.

I do note that with my 1.0 install, if I log in with the site-admin
password, I can't select the broken-out lists (it asks for the password
again, then takes me back to the first chunk, even though it says
"chunk=3" or whatever in the URL.

>5) Please setup a means by which a user can specify what additional
>addresses he/she posts from other than their subscription address. (For
>example, my campus has a mail aliasing system so that all public addresses

The current way we're doing this is that if users have multiple addresses
they want to post from, they have to subscribe once for each of those
addresses, and then only enable delivery on ONE of them.

For you, it sounds like you may want to limit it to members only, but then
allow posting from anyone who's e-mail address is "*@usm.edu" or
"*@*.usm.edu"...  Not ideal, but it sounds like your environment doesn't
really keep users from having a new address every week, and that's hard
to predict.

>  - move the archives to http://host/mailman/archives/listname or provide
>    a redirect from there to http://host/pipermail/listname.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you do that in Apache with a slightly
modified version of the lines you already have in there to get the
"/mailman/" and "/pipermail/" URLs to work?

>     Lastly, I'd like to note that, while I understand most of what's
>going on in the code, I don't have time ATM to sit down and really learn

Yeah, that seems to be the common problem these days.  Too much demand,
too few geeks.

Sean
--
 "Where are we going?"  "Planet Ten!"  "When?"  "Real soon!"
                 -- _Buckaroo_Banzai_