[Mailman-Developers] ABEND: problem with sync_members

Christopher Lindsey lindsey@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 01:40:37 -0600 (CST)

> Ok, I have found the problem. The check routines that validate an e-mail address does not pick up addresses with spaces in them. Thus, the following will cause an ABEND:
>
> richarde. test@eskom.co.za

For what it's worth, that's not an RFC-compliant address.  Any addresses
with spaces need to be enclosed within quotations, i.e

   "richarde. test"@eskom.co.za

If I remember, most of the address-related routines in Mailman split
on whitespace when extracting addresses from headers, in the Web interface,
etc., so the issue is unfortunately a lot more complex.

As far as I know there's currently no way to gracefully handle addresses
with spaces in them.

Another issue I'd like to eventually deal with is plus-addressing, so
Mailman interprets lindsey@example.com = lindsey+listname@example.com
for purposes of "authentication."

Chris