[Mailman-Developers] stalled connection: archive locks?

Ricardo Kustner ricardo@miss-janet.com
Wed, 26 May 1999 22:37:40 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On 22-May-99 Harald Meland wrote:
>> i think this might be what causes the process-overload on our server, when
>> an impatient moderator doesnt wait for the stalled page to completely
>> finnish
>> and approve several posts at once, all of them waiting for lock files to be
>> released...?
> I'll look into it -- this may be related to a problem J C Lawrence has
> reported (with subject "Performance under load (bursty message
> flow)").

I guess so -- it happened again this morning when a moderator was approving some
posts, the server go a unbelievable high load: it took me about 30 minutes to
get into a telnet session and issue a shutdown :(
Everytime a post is approved, the connection stalls exactly 15 seconds (which
happens to be exactly the timeout of the lockfiles in mailman)... usually when
i had to do a shutdown, i have to replace ~mailman/lists/list-name/config.db
with config.db.latest because it has become corrupted ("no such list")
anyway, the server also handles mail and is supposed to be up 24h a day and i
hope i can fix this soon cause this is getting unworkable :(... and this way i
never get a cool uptime :)

ps: sorry for cross-posting in mailman-users and develop ...

Ricardo.