[Mailman-Developers] stalled connection: archive locks?

Harald Meland Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no
22 May 1999 15:51:25 +0200

[Ricardo Kustner]

> Hi,
>
> well i've traced my problem back to the fact that the
> lock files in the archive directory are not being removed.
>
> they appear as:
> 1999-May-subject.lock.<host-name>.<#####>
>
> where <#####> is a number...

The number is the process ID (pid) of the locking process.  If you do
a "ps auxww | grep #####" (substituting "#####" with a number from a
lock file), does any Mailman processes show up?

> does anybody have the same problems?
>
> i think this might be what causes the process-overload on our server, when
> an impatient moderator doesnt wait for the stalled page to completely finnish
> and approve several posts at once, all of them waiting for lock files to be
> released...?

I'll look into it -- this may be related to a problem J C Lawrence has
reported (with subject "Performance under load (bursty message
flow)").
--
Harald