[Mailman-Developers] GNU GIF problems - was [ANNOUNCE] Mailman 1.0rc1

The Dragon De Monsyne dragondm@integral.org
Thu, 6 May 1999 01:26:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Benjamin B. Thomas wrote:

> Quoting "Barry A. Warsaw" <bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us>:
>
> > Good point.  It's not that hard to convert them to PNGs (or JPEGs?

	Hmmm... Well, for one thing PNG's will be easy to get, I actually
origionally created the images as PNG's then converted them to GIF's.
(the images were created with the debian-packaged version of the GIMP,
which dosen't support GIF's for exactly this reason.) I'll hunt arond for
the origionals

> When saving as JPEG, be sure to play around with the quality setting a little
> bit. Unfortunately, JPEGs tend to smear sharp borders a little bit since the
> compression is lossy. We might get lucky and have this actually enhance the
> "rubber stamp" look of Dragon's logo (It would have been a definite Bad
> Thing(tm) for any of the other possible logos due to their sharp lines).

	:>

> I just tried saving the logos as JPEG with XV at 100% quality with 0% smoothing,
> and the results are fairly acceptable. dragonsmall.gif grew by only 200 bytes,
> while dragonlogo.gif grew by about 5K. Take a look at
>
> http://mail.indiansprings.org/people/benjy/dragonsmall.jpg   and
> http://mail.indiansprings.org/people/benjy/dragonlogo.jpg

	Those look pretty good.

	-The Dragon De Monsyne