[Mailman-Developers] Does anyone else see these?

Harald Meland Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no
25 Mar 1999 00:34:14 +0100

[J C Lawrence]

> On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 01:17:53 -0600 (CST)
> Christopher Lindsey<lindsey@ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps Mailman could add (yet another) header indicating the
> > targetted recepient to help with this type of situation?  Maybe
> > X-Mailman-Recepient?  Or it could be wrapped it into another header
> > like X-BeenThere...
>
> One technique I used for my own list software (now defunct) was that
> every N'th message to each subscriber was sent individually with
> custom headers giving the subscription address, list name etc.

At one time I heard a rumour that someone was to implement VERP[1]
support in Mailman -- and I even imagined to have heard that the
implementation would do VERP on only every Nth posting to keep down
list latency.

It would be a post-1.0 thing, of course -- but was I merely dreaming
all this, or are actually anyone putting any work into this?

If no-one are, then someone should be :-)

[1] Variable Envelope Return Paths, see
    <URL:ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/www/proto/verp.txt> for further
    description.
--
Harald