[Mailman-Developers] Configurability (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] Mailman 1.0b9)

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Wed, 03 Mar 1999 21:34:30 -0800

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:42:24 -0800
John Viega<John@list.org> wrote:

> Well, my philosophy on the matter is to keep the common tasks easy
> and the expert tasks possible.  So I think there should be a basic
> section, and an advanced section, where there'd be some overlap.
> For example, in the basic section, you could just say, "give me a
> moderated list", but the fine grained control is available at the
> expert level.  I don't really mind catering to everyone as long as
> we focus on catering to the novice, since that's most people who
> will be administrating or using a list...

Specifically:

  VA Research has a need for a list server that presents only the
following options upon list creation (web preferred):

  Name of list.
  Reply-To option.
  Open/closed subscription option.
  Subscribers only from specified domain text field.
  Bounces go to MailMan owner or list owner option.
  Support digests option.

The actual need is for someone in HR, a computer illiterate someone
who just understands typewriters, to be able to create a list on
demand which central IS can then do the background management for
(bounces etc) but is otherwise default configured and obvious.

They *really* like MailMan.  They just need a severely dumbed down
interface to list creation for it.

--
J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw@kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder@kanga.nu