[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Envelope from, sender, from, etc.

Tony Abbott tabbott@intekom.com
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:08:48 +0200

Per Starback wrote:
> "Typically" is the key word here.  The actual code uses GetSender
> which prefers to use Sender: but uses From: if there is no Sender:.
> So my messages which said
>
>          From: starback@ling.uu.se
>          Sender: starback@objekt.ling.uu.se
>
> where rejected when only "starback@ling.uu.se" was a subscriber.

According to my understanding of RFC822, GetSender should be the other
way around, using Sender: as a fallback to From:. In fact, I had to
patch it this way to enable me to subscribe to my mailing lists using
Communicator, which was using "Sender: tony" (which is also incorrect,
but that's besides the point. all other mailing list software works with
From:) MailMan was trying to send the confirmation requests to the
Sender: address, which was not working. In fact, for the purpose of
sending such replies, it should actually be looking for a Reply-To:
first. I don't really know the code, but I think this would require
creating a separate GetSender for a) authorizing postings to a closed
list, and b) generating replies to administrative requests.

-t

--

    Tony Abbott					tabbott@intekom.co.za
    Systems Administrator, Intekom		Tel: +27-11-266-7800

intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s).
This
information may be subject to attorney and client or other privilege. It
must not be disclosed to any person without Intekom's permission.