[Mailman-Developers] [NEWBIE] ... Help! File permission error

Harald Meland Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no
04 Jun 1999 18:05:09 +0200

[Feisal Umar]

> Harald,
>
> Unfortunately .. it didn't work :(
>
> I am using Redhat 6.0, Mailman v1.0rc1, users' umask is 022, using qmail
> 1.03 and I didn't install mailman as root
>
> I tried manually changing the file permissions to chmod 644, but Mailman
> reverts it back to chmod 600 the next time I posted something to the list.

Bummer...

> PS: MY installation can be viewed at http://listserv.mysmac.com/

I tried this, but got redirected to your Mailman "listinfo" page --
which doesn't give me much relevant info.

[Feisal Umar]

> Earlier I had a problem where whenever I tried to access the "Downloadable
> version" version of my list's archive. (The xxx.txt.gz has permission 600)
>
> I managed to fix it via manually running $prefix/bin/arch <listname>
> archives/private/<list-name>.mbox/<list-name>.mbox

You mean, after running bin/arch, the archive's permissions _stay_
correct?

_Very_ strange -- the guts of bin/arch are, as far as I can see,
identical to the guts of Mailman.Archiver.ArchiveMail().  The latter
is the function that Mailman.MailList.Post() calls to update archives.

> Shouldn't the bin/arch function be run automatically for each of my
> list?

No, not as such -- but the bin/arch and the builtin archiving invokes
Mailman's archiving engine in the same way.

> My list works fine in all other aspect (fingers crossed) except for
> 'downloadable archive'.

I'm confused -- are you saying that the permission problem is gone or
not?
--
Harald