[Mailman-Developers] Various

Per Starback starback@ling.uu.se
11 Jun 1999 15:33:07 +0200

Various things I, as a new Mailman user, have wished was different.
These are not bug reports, but rather design issues.

* Privacy Options
I don't like the combined meanings of the fields A = "Restrict posting
privilege to list members?" and B = "Addresses of members accepted for
posting to this list without implicit approval requirement".

The current functionality is:

If A is No, and B isn't set, then anyone is allowed to post.
If A is No, and B is set,    then *only* users listed in B are allowed to post.
If A is Yes, then members *and* users listed in B are allowed to post.

My usual setting is the last one.  Only members and some special
addresses are allowed to post to the list.  But sometimes when I go
away for some time I would like to open up the list a little to make
it work more seamlessly while I can't be there to administrate it.
Now I can't just turn switch A to do that, but instead I have to
remove all addresses from B as well.  Of course that's not very much
problematic to do, but nevertheless it seems illogical.
Perhaps it would be better if A had three possible values:
Noone, Members only, Anyone. And then B always is a list of
*additional* addresses besides what option A states?

* Digest-member options

"Header added to every digest" is empty as the default value.
I would prefer if the whole

	 Send xxx maillist submissions to [...]
	 When replying, please [...]
	 "Re: Contents of xxx digest...")

blurb was there instead, so all of that could be edited.
(By the way, that blurb ends with an unmatched ")".  That's an error
in Digester.py.)

* List-specific programs

Something I'm missing from Smartlist which I have been using since
before is the possibility there of adjusting everything for a
particular list by making a special version of the list programs for
that list. In this way it would great if I could just put a changed
Digester.pyc (for example) in the directory for a particular list to
have that list use that one instead of the default one.

This wouldn't be needed for most lists, or course, but still such a
minor(?) change would make it *possible* to do almost anything,
including stuff that there probably will be support for in the future
but that someone could need to fix "by hand" for one particular list
right now, and specialized stuff for which there never will be
generalized support.