[Mailman-Developers] Re: what is being checked?

Phillip Porch ppp@theporch.com
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 17:28:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, Stephen Modena wrote:

> Phil--
>
> >From MindSpring, I change my "return address" inside of Eudora to
> "shimshon@theporch.com". Then I sent a "who" request to test-request.
> I succeeded in mailing the list of subscribers to shimshon@thePorch.com.
>
> I did the same thing giving "ab4el@MindSpring.com" and it explicitly
> refused me because I am not a subscriber.

That is yet another setting. I can set the list to show the subscription
list to anyone, to list subscribers or only to the list admin.

> My suggestion is: these sort of things should require the "password=<>" on
> the same line as the request.  If I am a legitimate subscriber, I can
> punch the HTML button to get my password mailed to me...it's not like I
> have to keep it on a post and would be an inconvenient imposition to
> require that parameter as part of the request.

I think it is the way it is to accomidate the different privacy settings.
If I had set the list up where the subscribers were veiwable to anyone who
had not set themselves as hidden, then it would not make sense to have the
password. I would guess it would be relatively easy to check the list
settings and if it was restricted, it would require a password.

Again, I'll forward this to the mailman-developer list.

--
Phillip P. Porch <root@sco.theporch.com>  NIC:PP1573     finger for
http://www.theporch.com  UTM - 16 514548E 3994397N          PGP key