[Mailman-Developers] Bug in GatewayManager.py, 1.0rc2

Ben Gertzfield che@debian.org
01 Jul 1999 15:59:22 -0700

    Ben> I'm not subscribed to this list, so please Cc: me on any
    Ben> replies.  I hope this is the right place to send bug reports.
    Ben>
    Ben> Anyway, the bug looks like a think-o in GatewayManager.py:

    Harald> Thanks for the report, fixed in CVS.  -- Harald

Thanks, Harald!

Also, I've noticed that gate_news is extremely poor at handling any
kinds of exceptions if something goes wrong when gatewaying mail to
news.

I've been getting about 15-20 mails a day from cron about all the
uncaught exceptions from gate_news. Here are some examples of the
different exceptions I've been getting:

[snip]

Subject: Cron <list@enkidu> /usr/bin/python /usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:10:07 -0700

Exception exceptions.IOError: (2, 'No such file or directory') in
<method FileLock.__del__ of FileLock instance at 81772f8> ignored

[snip]

Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 06:06:34 -0700

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 119, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 78, in main
    conn = nntplib.NNTP(mlist.nntp_host)
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/nntplib.py", line 73, in __init__
    self.welcome = self.getresp()
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/nntplib.py", line 132, in getresp
    raise error_temp, resp
nntplib.error_temp: 400 Flushing log and syslog files

[snip]

Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 08:40:04 -0700

Exception exceptions.ValueError: 'unpack list of wrong size' in
<method FileLock.__del__ of FileLock instance at 80eacf8> ignored

[snip]

Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 08:50:03 -0700

Exception NotLockedError in <method FileLock.__del__ of FileLock
instance at 81772f8> ignored

[snip]

I assume all of these can be fixed by properly dealing with these
exceptions. It's extremely frustrating to be getting so many exception
reports every day..

--
Brought to you by the letters P and F and the number 8.
"You forgot Uranus." "Goooooooooodnight everybody!"