[Mailman-Developers] removing entries from aliases

Stu Ekins stu@ekins.net
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 12:32:04 -0000

>On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 04:12:41PM -0800, Mark Williamson wrote:
>> How difficult would it be to remove the entries from the /etc/aliases
from when a list is
>> removed via the rmlist command?  Does anyone have code for this already?
>Technically not that hard, assuming nobody touches the pieces that it
>inserts (if you copy them in manually)... BUT, it'd have to be really
>really really sure before I'd trust it.  Honestly, I don't remove lists
>often enough for this to be a problem... but it's certainly something to
>think about... moreso just the overall add/delete

I agree. Wouldn't it be a better idea to have a second aliases file that
only mailman can modify, then have an alternative version of newaliases that
concatenates the standard /etc/aliases and the mailman aliases together,
before processing.

That way, if it all goes pear shaped, your main aliases file is unaffected,
only your mailman aliases get screwed, and if you have a backup version, you
can recover.

I'm sure I read somewhere about being able to do includes in alias files
anyway, but I can't find the reference anyway.

Or am I missing the point here?

Stu.

--
http://mobiles.ekins.net - Special offers on Nokia 9000 cases and personal