[Mailman-Developers] Duplicate supression idea [was: Re: Please stop the cross posting]

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:55:25 -0500

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 03:30:51PM -0500, Darren Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Christian Tismer wrote:
>
> > [I propose some nefarious plot to undermine all mail systems :-)]
>
> imo this really isn't something that belongs in mailman, you start getting
> into all kinds of nasty hueristics ... if you belong to two groups and a
> message is cross posted which group do you favor and give the message too?
> It just gets worse as you add groups. Do you addresss that by taking the
> intersection and making it look like it only comes from one address? Do
> you let each user decide?

Well, I figure this isn't THAT hugely common, which of course asks, why
do it, but regardless... anyway, the user gets the copy that first shows
up in th mailsystem... which basically would be whichever one is listed
first in the recipients list from the MTA's perspective.

THat's not relevent, underneith it's the same information.  You don't
munge anything in the headers, you just adjust the recipient list for
the outgoing message (RCPT info), and you deal with it again when 2
copies come in again.  I don't see any other way to fdo this.

Yes you could decide on a per user basis (make duplicate-supression an
option, turned on by default, I suppose).

> It would seem better addressed as another list adminisitrator concern. You
> could help them I suppose, give them the ability to say, "list a and b
> will not accept crossposts from one another" but generally its probably
> enough that they gentley remind their users when it occurs excessively.

I think this is a seperate issue, though obviously related.  Sometimes
you do want x-posts... sometimes you don't, that should be an option.

Just my handwaving
Chris