[Mailman-Developers] Limiting copies of cross posts sent

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:45:16 -0500

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 01:26:46PM -0600, Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:

> Now, if you can get the SMTP daemon to invoke MailMan once and pass all
> of the recipients, MailMan could use that information to send one copy
> of the message to the union of the set of subscribers for each list.

Having just spent gods know how much time hacking up sendmail, this is a
problem... here's why..

* Sendmail only does this under SMTP, not under anything else

So, that means that Mailman would have to accept its messages over SMTP,
which sin't in itself a problem... the problem is that as far as I've
been able to determine, sendmail can't be told to deliver SMTP mail to a
different port than 25.  Also, you'd end up with mailer re-write rules
out the ying-yang :-)  Trust me, you never ever ever ever want to do
anything that requires someone to add anything bizarre to their sendmail
installation.

> Of course MailMan would need to be changed significantly to handle this,
> but you wouldn't need a database.

That's not nearly as ugly as the problems with doing it ... also it'd be
different for every mailer, and quite different in many cases I think.