[Mailman-Developers] Re: Please stop the cross posting

Ken Manheimer ken@digicool.com
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 13:47:21 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Christopher G. Petrilli wrote:

> Basically, you have a list of all recipients on all lists merged
> together, you then have a list of messages that need to be delivered to
> recipients with certain interests... you can then attach this message
> object to all the recipients (via whatever method), thereby determining
> whether or not the recipient will already be receiving the message.
>
> I've written (a long time ago) a Usenet server that worked on a similar
> principle... was quite quick, and very effecient.  It was in C, but I
> can't imagine that it should be that hard in Python... this is NOT a
> Mailman 1.x exercise :-)

I don't think it's a hard problem, and i agree, i don't think it's high
enough priority to retrofit to 1.x.  If there's sufficient mandate (read,
incentives for digital creations) for mailman and zope to exploit on
eachother's capabilities, we may be able to spend some time tailoring them
for eachother a bit, avoiding locking mailman to zope, but strengthing
mailman where zope is available...  Exciting prospects, and i actually
think there will be the mandate.  Got a lot to do before then, though, so
don't hold your breath.

(BTW, ironically, i've been tempted to post my messages in this to the
zope list!-)

Ken