[Mailman-Developers] Archiving using news gateway

J C Lawrence claw@under.engr.sgi.com
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:23:33 -0800

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999 12:49:28 +0100
Tomas Fasth<tomas@euronetics.se> wrote:

> In "Re: [Mailman-Developers] commercial maillist system, lyris,
> looks rather similar" Ken Manheimer wrote:

>> It has some nice stuff that mailman doesn't - one interesting
>> idea seems to be to use a news server for the archives.  That
>> way, archive browsers can use a news interface, or use a web
>> browser to a news/web gateway.

> Interesting approach. That is surely a possible workaround for the
> current lack of MIME support in pipermail archiving. As a matter
> of fact, I like the idea so much that I will give it a try.

It has a problem:  lack of good search facilities.  HTML or database
based list archives allow useful/intelligent search engines to be
used to process them.

  eg I have roughly 40,000 messages up and HTML-iesed via MHonArc
and indexed via WebGlimpse.  Its an utter bitch to find anything
without WebGlimpse.

> So I guess the archive-through-news approach will work in most
> cases.
> Comments?

Its a good option.  Mostly I just want an MH-style folder for each
quarter's (I operate on quarter's worth of messages, not months).

--
J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw@kanga.nu
(Contractor)                             Internet: coder@kanga.nu