[Mailman-Developers] Archiving using news gateway

Tomas Fasth tomas@euronetics.se
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 12:49:28 +0100

In "Re: [Mailman-Developers] commercial maillist system, lyris, looks rather
similar" Ken Manheimer wrote:

> It has some nice stuff that mailman doesn't - one interesting idea seems
> to be to use a news server for the archives.  That way, archive browsers
> can use a news interface, or use a web browser to a news/web gateway.

Interesting approach. That is surely a possible workaround for the current
lack of MIME support in pipermail archiving. As a matter of fact, I like the
idea so much that I will give it a try.
Why didn't I thought of that before ;-)
Now, if I only could remember where I last saw that nice (MIME aware) web
frontend for reading (mail and) news... On the other hand, most people today
already have the necessary software (part from a browser) for reading both
mail and news. So I guess the archive-through-news approach will work in most
cases.

Comments?

Tomas