[Mailman-Developers] Moderation comment interface change

Harald Meland Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no
08 Feb 1999 13:08:05 +0100

[J C Lawrence]

>   5) MH-style archive folders, split out by archive period, instead of
> mbox'es (message separation semantics with mbox are not guaranteed).

While MH-style archive folders could be a nice feature, I don't think
your comment on the message separation semantics of mbox folders is
entirely correct.

Sendmail (and compatible MTAs) actually _quote_ any lines beginning
with "From " in the message body when delivering locally to avoid
breaking the message separators.

[ I've heard rumours that Postfix doesn't put any "From " quasi-header
  in pipe-delivered messages at all (while it does add "Delivered-To:"
  headers containing the envelope recipient (and use these headers to
  kill forwarding loops -- this may actually be a clue to the problems
  people have getting Mailman and Postfix working together)).

  If this indeed is the case, then there would (from Postfix' point of
  view) be no need to quote any "From " lines in the body of the
  message, either -- and this could break the message separation
  semantics of Mailman's mbox-style folders.  Whether the proper fix
  is for Mailman to quote any "From " lines on it's own, or switch to
  using some other folder format, is at this time unclear to me. ]
--
Harald