[Mailman-Developers] Unsubscribed WITHOUT my permission

Robert OConnor rocon@pivot.net
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 08:56:31 -0500

Twice in February I have been unsubscribed from
zope@zope.org mail list that is running:
--- Mailman v 1.0b8.  pre-GNU beta release

I went and checked my options and found:
http://www.zope.org/mailman/subscribe/zope

*--
Disable mail delivery
Turn this on if you want mail to not be delivered to you for a little while.
On
*--
Ok, _maybe_ my busy mail server bounces mail on occasion or
maybe the mail got stuck somewhere in the icloud....I had assumed
that bounce mail makes a few attempts before failure.  My mail
server at my ISP: pivot.net has continued to work fine although
I understand that it is busy.  I have no problems with this on other lists.

The MailMan "to do" list shows these issues relevant to my problem:

Bugs
"Stale" addresses don't update properly when new bounces
come in (stale means we had some bounces, but delivery to
that address started working again before we booted them from the list)

Bounce handling
Add more patterns for bounce handling
Send mail to people that are being removed w/o their
knowledge (even though they're likely not to get it).

***Hey, I AM likely to get it***
I am writing as a USER, not a list maintainer.

***I strongly encourage you to send mail if you disable
"my" settings automatically.

Questions:
How many times does MailMan mail "Bounce" before you
disable it?   A few tries should be made...
Maybe the retries should be delayed and made at some
interval such as 20 or 30 minutes.