[Mailman-Developers] password-less unsubscribe

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:51:15 -0800

Tomas Fasth wrote:

> Greg Stein wrote:
>
> > I strongly vote for the "let them unsubscribe, and send a notice"
> > theory.
>
> Better yet, make it work like when subscribing, delay the execution,
> sending a mail to the adress in question with a key. If the key is not
> returned in a reply the subscription stay intact.

That's a possibility, but for this list... remember: they're idiots.

If they were accidentally/maliciously unsubscribed, then they can always
resubscribe.

Really... how often does somebody maliciously unsubscribe somebody? I
have to imagine it is quite rare. I'd rather take the safe side and let
them get off the list as easy as possible.

I'd actually prefer a confirmation-less subscription, too, and have
something in the subscribe acknowledgement say "if you were subscribed
in error, then hit <this> URL to unsubscribe"

-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/