[Mailman-Developers] removing entries from aliases

Tomas Fasth tomas@euronetics.se
Wed, 03 Feb 1999 13:43:52 +0100

Stu Ekins wrote:

> I agree. Wouldn't it be a better idea to have a second aliases file that
> only mailman can modify, then have an alternative version of newaliases that
> concatenates the standard /etc/aliases and the mailman aliases together,
> before processing.

Most MTAs, including sendmail (exim is my personal favorite), can handle
multiple alias files. As for sendmail you have to modify sendmail.cf
like (version 8.8 and above):

O AliasFile=/etc/aliases,/home/mailman/aliases

The command newaliases, which updates the sendmail alias databases,
automatically recognizes the new configuration with multiple alias
files.

I do use a separate mailman alias file myself, although with exim as
MTA. The configuration looks like this (in /etc/exim.conf):

mailman_aliases:
  driver = aliasfile
  domains = list.twinspot.net
  file = /home/mailman/aliases
  search_type = lsearch
  user = mailman
  group = mailman

By the way, exim does not use newaliases for aliases updates.

regards, Tomas