[Mailman-Developers] Bad/Invalid email address

Sean Reifschneider mailman-users@python.org
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 16:00:26 -0700

[I'm setting replies to go to mailman-users]

On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 02:54:49PM +0000, Marco Budde wrote:
>When subscribing a local user address like
>"mbudde" or even "mbudde@local" I get this
>error message: "Bad/Invalid email address".
>
>Why? This is a normal email address.

Understand the distinction between "normal" and "valid".  You can send mail
to a local user simply by specifying "user", however that's because the
local MTA does some magic to figure out where it goes.  Since mailman has
historicly simply handed delivery off to a standard SMTP mail server for the
actual delivery, it means that the addresses it gets need to be RFC-822
compliant.

I presume if you use "mbudde@domain.com", where "domain.com" is your
domain, that it works fine?  Mailman is simply being canonical, which
IMHO is better than relying on magic to happen behind the scenes.
For example, if you specified "mbudde", and then later changed the
SMTP server, or moved the mailman installation to another host, the
behavior may change.

Sean
--
 If you have too many special cases, you are doing it wrong.
                 -- Craig Zerouni