[Mailman-Developers] mailman changes

Ricardo Kustner ricardo@miss-janet.com
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 00:16:00 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I've made some changes into the version of Mailman i'm using to make life a
bit easier of our moderators (and me)... most of which are on the
'administrative requests' page (Mailman/Cgi/admindb.py)
some of these changes are:

1) all mail headers of the moderated messages are filtered by default; only a
few nesecary headers are printed. I've also added a button to view the posts
with all headers in case that's needed for some reason.
2) i've added an extra text-field which can be used to enter an email address,
and an extra button 'send copy' in the Approve/Reject/Discard list that will
send a copy of the email to that entered email addy.

my next step will be adding a 'comment' field that will add a "note from the
editor" to a post that is being approved to be send to the mailinglist.

If anybody thinks these changes can be useful for others too, please let me
know, and i'll try to make a patch out of them...

I must say that it wasn't easy to understand some parts of the source, things
like val[2][1] aren't that obvious :) And since i'm a python-newbie i had some
problems with NameErrors at first when i added some of my changes... ;) I've
only focussed on Cgi/admindb.py so far (and partly ListAdmin.py)....
also, i wanted to add some configuration options, but i couldn't find an easy
way to do that without having to know the complete structure of the mailman
sourcecode... so i gave up... for now...

I also want to enhance the 'Membership Management' section (to be honest, it
takes too much time to find a member through the webinterface), but i think
i'll need a few more hours of studying the mailman source before i can do that

I'm really interested in learing more about mailman and python... it has been a
while since i learned something new with programming and i've just remembered
how addicting it can be :)

Ricardo.