[Mailman-Developers] archive,multilang

Bencsath Boldizsar boldi@budapest.hu
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 16:16:04 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

First of all, thanks for all developers contributing this software. Be
proud of doing that.

I have some notices, I think some asked for them before, but I didn't find
on the TODO list.

-It would be great to have language templates, so every site or user could
see the web UI in his/her own language. This templates could be created as
XML/DTD docs, or so, to provide more  comfortable update mechanism (If XY
makes the russian interface, but the central interface, so the english is
changing, then the russian should be rewritten. If mailman would have a
central doc-template format, then it would be more easy to change the
document (language) format

-As using mailman in Hungary I always met problems with spcial characters.
Now one problem is reading archives on the web like this one:
     [Nov7] =?iso-8859-1?Q?=E9ljen?= a forradalom! Szekfu Balazs
Other problem is using mime attachments etc in the archives.

The solution is not easy. To read all messages as it could be read on a
mail client is a bigger problem than writing a mail reader because of the
web interface's problems. The first functional workaround could be if an
archive-reader would able to press a "send this messages to me by email"
button or press a "forward this to.." button... Of course some lists have
new members who wish to read many older messages... so "get gzipd
archive"" for this month could be extended to "get all messages by email
gaain".

There are problems.If the archive is public, then it could be used to
email-bomb a person's email box. At the other hand a bad email address
could cause problems on the mailman server ( if i send tousands of
messages to unknown recipients). So I don't know the best answer, but now
only sysadmins are trained enough to excavate an archive messages as
readable as it should be.

thanks,
boldi