[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Usenet gating and archiving

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us (Barry A. Warsaw)
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 10:33:42 -0500 (EST)

    RBP> I have not yet started using the gateway, but it and the
    RBP> automated archives are two of the features that attracted me
    RBP> to mailman. I do plan on using it in the future.

And it will work in 1.0b11.

    >> I would rather not add this hack to Mailman unless a lot of
    >> people would benefit from it.  For the test lists that I'm
    >> running, we're willing to just trash the archives and start
    >> over; the lists aren't live anyway.  I'd like to know who would
    >> be really adversely affected by this problem.

    RBP> What good is an incomplete archive? I feel that it is very
    RBP> important that the archive is a true and complete record of
    RBP> the list activity, including mesages gated in from a
    RBP> newsgroup.

Maybe I phrased the question incorrectly.  If you have not yet begun
to archive a gated list, but only start doing so after you install
1.0b11 (which will be released sometime this morning), you will be
fine.

If you are running 1.0b10 or earlier, and have already started
archiving a gated group, your archives will be messed up (if you
haven't already noticed ;-).  Someone would have to write a script to
jam in the Unixfrom headers in the .mbox files and then rerun the
script.  It's probably not hard to write -- I'm just proposing that I
don't need to do it, 'cause the number of people affect approaches
zero right now.  ;-)

-Barry