[Mailman-Developers] Python 1.5 compatible ? no!

Christian Tismer tismer@appliedbiometrics.com
Thu, 03 Sep 1998 19:27:01 +0200

Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> [Damn!  Sorry for the premature response.  Let's try that again]

>     CT> This is not true. This version will not even run with a
>     CT> standard 1.5.1 Python.

Yes I was wrong here.

>     CT> Killer#1: The parameter-less "raise" statement is no 1.5.1
>     CT> feature.

It is of course, my testing was wrong.

>     CT> Killer#2: The __stdin__ and other underscored system
>     CT> file names are no Python 1.5 features.
>
> Chris, I tried both of these under our vanilla 1.5.1 release:

Yes, right, my claim is true for 1.5, 1.5.1 does it.

> I don't have 1.5 handy but I think you're probably right that neither
> will work in a 1.5 release.  In any event, the current version of the
> driver tries to do sain things with sys.__stdout__ and sys.__stderr__
> (I don't think sys.__stdin__ is actually referenced anywhere, but my
> grep could be missing it).
>
> -------------------- snip snip --------------------
>     # Python 1.5 doesn't have these by default.  Let's make our lives easy
>     if not hasattr(sys, '__stderr__'):
>         sys.__stderr__ = sys.stderr
>     if not hasattr(sys, '__stdout__'):
>         sys.__stdout__ = sys.stdout
> -------------------- snip snip --------------------
>
> I also thought that I had commented all the bare raises out of the
> code (leaving them for a time when we can better rely on its
> existance).  I'm pretty sure all instances of re-raising do it the
> old-fashion way, but again, I might be missing something.
>
> Have you checked the current CVS snapshot?  I include our latest
> driver script below.  See if that helps you out.
>
> -Barry
>
> [ATTACHMENT ~/projects/mailman/scripts/driver, application/octet-stream]

I could not find an attachment, just the line above.
Meanwhile I thought had all the __ things and raise statements out
and got it running so far. Perhaps I missed something, since I never
got the admin pages to work. I could not edit any list, and I gave up.

Probably my fault, although - who did it get to run under Redhat
Linux? Can someone give me a working Linux version for the Starship?
I'm afraid to re-invent the wheel.

How do I get at the CVS tree?

thanks&cheers - pirx

--