[Mailman-Developers] SMTPHOST can come in very handy

Scott scott@chronis.pobox.com
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 02:59:55 -0500

I've got about 30 sizable lists running on mailman, all of which are
majordomo converts <grin>.  Though most of the listowners miss the old
majordomo feature of notifying the administrator when subscribes or
unsubscribes occur, they like alot of the other features alot, like
automatic bounce processing, web archiving, etc.  Some of the features
they dont even know they like, like the fact that the site admin can
define SMTPHOST.

little story, that might come in handy for others one day.

last night a disk problem on our main mail hub left us without what is
by far our most powerful mail server.  i had to set up 3 linux mail
exchangers to take its place while we worked on it, and one of them
was doing the outgoing mail for these 30 or so recently converted
lists.  So i renamed the SMTPHOST to something else and created round
robbin A records for that very something else, so that whenever
mailman requested delivery of outgoing mail, it randomly chose the
services of 4 different machines.  were i not able to do that.