[Mailman-Developers] gate_news crashed my machine

Scott scott@chronis.pobox.com
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 05:05:47 -0500

the fix is to add os._exit(0) to the line right after file.close()
like so:

    # Save after every newsgroup... should probably save after every post.
    # Reason being, want to make sure in case of a system crash or something,
    # The same messages don't get gated multiple times.
    file = open(os.path.join(mm_cfg.DATA_DIR, "gate_watermarks"), "w")
    marshal.dump(watermarks, file)
    file.close()
    os._exit(0)

sorry 'bout that one.

You may want to just comment out the cron job if you don't do any new
gatewaying.

I've never seen a load of 180 before.  highest i've seen is about 130,
that was sendmail's fault.  i guess mailman gets the prize most
potentially abusive to the system's load.

needless to say, this fix is in the current cvs sources.

scott