[Mailman-Developers] Internationalization

Francois Bedard bedard@info.uqam.ca
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:09:57 -0500

Hello Peter,

Peter Gervai wrote:

> It wasn't clear whether you are intended to translate the program
> as a whole or making it possible to be able to choose the supported
> language on a list-by-list basis (plug a language to the list).

We'd like for the users and maintainers of a list to be able to function
entirely in their own language if they so desire. So, whatever it takes to
achieve that... It would probably be best if maintainers could specify
default and alternative languages for each list, and if as well individual
users could select the language of their choice among the alternatives
offered.

> It would be really nice to have the possibility to host lists
> with national language interface as well as english (or probably
> other) language based lists as well on the same installation.

Indeed. Many countries have more than one official language (not that it has
to be official); Switzerland has four and is not an extreme case at that. As
more and more people get to join or offer mailing lists, not all of them
computer-savvy, it would be nice if they could do so in the most comfortable
of ways. A web interface is certainly a good step in this direction; support
for alternative languages would definitely be another.

Francois Bedard