[Mailman-Developers] Some improvement suggestions

John Viega viega@list.org
Fri, 29 May 1998 05:49:28 -0700

On Thu, May 28, 1998 at 09:06:15PM -0500, The Dragon De Monsyne wrote:
> 	Hmm.. Has anyone looked at doing the whole shot with Digicool's
> DocumentTemplate modules? The do both html and text, and their DTML is
> alot more flexible than mailan's current 'magic-tag' system. It seems a
> natural.

Sounds good.  I don't think anyone is persuing that right now, if you
want to do it..

> 	IMHO, I realy think mailman needs a class of persistant Server
> object (one for each virtual server) to store server-specific info which
> really dosen't belong in the mailinglist object. Such an object could
> store defaults in the same way as my UserDB did . It could also have
> methods for things like getting the list of lists.

Hmm, on one level it does belong in the mailing list object.  For
example, you might have the default set up to be: www.mymachine.com
for both web stuff and list stuff, and someone might want to change it
to be www.mymachine.com for the web page, and list.mymachine.com for
the list.  Or the other way around.  I've seen a few lists use
completely different domain names for the mail address and the web
address.  It's definitely a property of the list, although storing
defaults on a per-server level would be good.  I think I'd prioritize
it fairly low, though, since creating new lists is not a frequently
done thing.  If you want to work on it, though, I do think it'd be a
fine addition.